Universities and Colleges
The CAW now represents over 4,000 members who work in the education sector. Most are employed by universities in a range of functions, including support staff, research and maintenance jobs. Over half of our total members in this sector are employed at McMaster University in Hamilton. Several additional bargaining units are found at other universities in Ontario, Manitoba, and Nova Scotia.
Several hundred more members work for elementary and secondary school districts in Ontario.
Education is one of the most highly unionized sectors in the whole Canadian economy. Over 70 percent of all workers in education belong to a union.
- New Pension Funding Relief Measures for Ontario Universities - March 25, 2011
- Technical Briefing on Solvency Funding Relief Rules for Broader Public Sector Pension Plans Including Ontario Universities - March 3, 2011
- The Advocate
- University of Manitoba Looking At Deep Cuts: CAW Local 3000 Vows To Fight
- CAW-McMaster Bargaining Report - September 2009
- Desktop Newsletter
- The Cost of the Golden Handshake, David Empey, President University of Western Staff Association