Labour Presents Progressive Vision for New Economy
August 19, 2009, 3:07 PM EST
This year is the first time on record that the GDP of the entire world will shrink, Peggy Nash, assistant to the CAW National President told Constitutional Convention delegates in a presentation on August 19 about the policy paper: We will fight this crisis -the economics and politics of the global financial meltdown. "That's globalization at work," said Nash.
Across Canada alone, there are more than 2 million unemployed or underemployed workers and for these people, claims that Canada has pulled out of the recession are nothing more than a cruel joke, said Nash.
As part of the presentation, Nash outlined a 12 point plan to overhaul the economy and recover from the recession.
1. Re-regulate the financial industry;
2. Expand the role of public and non-profit banks;
3. Expand EI;
4. Assistance for displaced workers;
5. Step up direct public spending;
6. Massive public environmental investments;
7. Expansion of public housing;
8. Protect and expand key sectors, including manufacturing and others;
9. Protect and expand pensions;
10. Mandatory Buy Canadian policies;
11. Re-negotiate trade deals in a fair and balanced manner;
12. Target the Canadian dollar at a figure below $.80 US
To read the contents of We will fight this crisis, please visit: http://www.caw.ca/en/7755.htm