CAW Urges Ontario to Support Maintenance of Gun Registry Data

February 2, 2012, 9:00 AM EST


SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

The CAW is calling on Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty to take a public stand and call on the Harper government to protect all existing data from the national long gun registry, in the wake of the government's effort to kill the registry and delete its records.

In a letter sent to the Premier on January 31, CAW Women's Program Director Julie White called on the provincial government to actively consider the establishment of a long gun registry and to take a "principled and public stand" against the Harper government's proposed legislation (Bill C-19) to dismantle the registry and demand the existing records be maintained.

"The CAW accepts that citizens have the right to own firearms in Canada. However we cannot accept the logic that the conditions are such that firearm ownership goes unchecked," White said. "A long gun registry is one piece of a national gun control program that fosters a culture of safety and accountability on Ontario communities."

White said that there are over 2 million non-restricted firearms currently registered in Ontario that would disappear in the eyes of police officers and other law enforcement officials if the national registry is dismantled.

The province of Quebec has publicly stated that it will consider the establishment of a provincial long gun registry. Alberta Premier Alison Redford also stated recently that she doesn't oppose the transference of existing national data to provincial registries.

Bill C-19 has passed both first and second readings in the House of Commons and is currently being voted on by a parliamentary committee. So far, the federal Conservatives have rejected all proposed amendments to the Bill brought forward by members of the opposition.

The full text of the letter can be downloaded here.

Print Print  Send to a friend Send to a friend  Feedback Feedback